From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] The family tree of a gene as oppsoed to the family treeof a species or clade (or race)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:38:19 -0400

Indeed, I think this distinction is both important and easy to overlook.

We have become comfortable thinking of PEOPLE having (or belonging to)
haplogroups, when in truth they don't. It is the y-chromosome itself
or the mtDNA itself that have haplogroups. Not the person.

Of course the semantic distinction is less important than that people
know WHY there is a distinction.

VV