From: "Tim Janzen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Family Finder Test
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 21:37:13 -0700

Dear Mary,
MtDNA and Y chromosome data is essentially irrelative to the Family
Finder test. Family Finder is an autosomal DNA test. It is thus looking at
data that was passed down to you from all of your ancestors, not just those
on the paternal and maternal lines of descent. The purpose of this test is
to find distant relatives by analyzing about 500,000 autosomal SNPs. Also
read the message I just posted in response to Janis' question. If your
parents have already died, I would suggest that both your brother and you do
the Family Finder test. Each of you will have autosomal SNPs that the other
doesn't have. Theoretically, each of you will have about 50% of the
autosomal DNA that your parents had. However, if both your brother and you
do the Family Finder test, then you will collectively have about 75% of the
autosomal data you would have if your parents had been tested instead.
Sincerely,
Tim Janzen