From: Nelda Percival <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Family Finder Test
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:09:29 -0500

Doug,
I know you must not have realised what you wrote....

"Do we know that? They send you the X data, which is in some cases
> invaluable if there are long chains of almost all males."

First we do not get long chains of almost all males.. long chains of only male children still have mothers so.. a chain is 50 / 50 male / female.

Your: Do we know that?

Answer: since the discussion was Family finder test.. yes the Y chromosome and MTDNA are not part of it and thus the statement
" irrelative to the Family Finder test." is correct. Also of which is the direct line inheritance of both the "Y" and "MTDNA"

The family finder test - I'm not sure at this point in time examines the "X" chromosome it does examine the autosomal chromosomes.

The 23andme tests examines some of the "Y" some of the "MTDNA"; all of the "X" and all of the autosomal chromosomes up to 500,000 plus...

Agreed that the "X" chromosome results are helpful in a line of only male descendants, but autosomals, will; help there just as much or more since you only inherit the recombined "X" chromosome from a small portion of your ancestors.

Nelda

My websites : http://freepages.folklore.rootsweb.com/~bonsteinandgilpin/

This thread: