From: Elizabeth Bennett <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Family Finder Test
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:07:30 -0200

Clan Donald has a large database of Y-DNA results. My father is an R1a MacDonald Ysearch NCK5H who is likely Clanranald but so far there is no accepted conclusion as to where he shares a common ancestor with the chiefs line, anywhere from the 1600's to 1300's which is not much help with research. I realize that this is not a time frame in which autosomal results could help but my question was more theoretical. If autosomal results could indicates cousins of some degree and they are assumed to be cousins through their paternal lines, can these results be used to group Y DNA test results in smaller group within a large one to help develop a phylogenetic tree? It is not a case of one of the other autosomal or Y-DNA but can they be used in combination.
I agree that autosomal results can open up connections so people can identify Y-DNA signatures of not their immediate direct male line. That should work in theory however that assumes that there is an exchange of information. My father has only 3 MacDonald exact 12 marker matches. I know nothing about 2 of them and emails have gone unanswered. One has only tested 12 markers.
Elizabeth Bennett