From: John Carr <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Family Finder Test
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:11:48 -0700

Elizabeth,

Your idea will not work because all of the descendants of a man and a women will not share exactly the same autosomal DNA. In fact, two siblings could inherit totally different autosomal segments from each parent and appear to not match each other at all (low probability, but it could happen). Your idea may be used to exclude people from potential shared lineage within 5 generations based on low probability, but the results will be so varied that they will not confirm shared lineage. The results would show a high probability of shared lineage if there are matching autosomal segments, but you already have that from the YSTR results. The same paper trail required for YSTR results would be required here as well. There would be one advantage, the autosomal results would indicate the probability of a shared ancestor was within a few generations, where the matching YSTR results may indicate shared ancestry from within a few generations to many generations ago.

This is all still new technology, perhaps in time someone will develop a way to distinguish shared lineage using autosomal SNP results, I believe paternity tests already claim this ability, but for now, all we see is the possibility of a potential shared biological lineage.

Hope this makes it more clear for you,

John Carr

> From: Elizabeth Bennett <>
> Subject: Re: [DNA] Family Finder Test
> Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:36:11 -0200
>
> I'm sorry if I was unclear. I do not assume that if autosomal results show a relationship that it is in the paternal line. IF there is an autosomal relationship and IF they are assumed to be cousins in the paternal line, CAN these results be used to group Y DNA results in smaller groups within a large one. If you look at the R1a network charts on the Clan Donald DNA page there are not many clusters.
> Clan Donald has at least one chief who was Donald Gorm; Donald the blue eyed so I have exchanged information on eye colour and height with some of my father's matches.
> Elizabeth

This thread: