From: MaryJo Neyer <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Were You Satisfied With "Family Finder" Results?
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:08:56 -0400

We had a big surprise with the 23andme test for my aunt: we clearly have a
Jewish ancestor somewhere back in the family tree and we had no idea of the
existence of that person before. We heard from a number of people from
Poland, Russia and the Ukraine and Israel. The common ancestor was most
probably through our German line, an illegimate young man who emigrated from
Germany to Pennsylvania in 1850. The family was Roman Catholic. Our other
lines all go back to France in the 1740s and mainly to the British Isles.
The last ancestors on my father'sside to come over to the US were some
Northern Irish in 1800. We know very little about them-just have some common
names, Russell, Harvey and some ships' manifests. I was very thrilled to be
contacted by some people living in Ireland today who share genes with my
father. This was an exciting moment for us.
So yes, the tests were definitely worth it. I am sure FamilyFinder will be
even better, because I have already been in contact with the 3 people who
matched with me. The rate of response at 23andme is rather low. Even so,
those who have responded have been very nice.