From: Elizabeth Bennett <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Family Finder Test
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 22:11:45 -0200

Thanks for all the good information.
In Clan Donald DNA on the ClanRanald Branch there is only one 67 marker result among the documented Clanranald genealogies; the 67 marker results of the chief of ClanRanald. The Glenaladale and Bornish MacDonald descendants with documented genealogies have only 37 marker results. I am looking for a way to establish a 67 marker modal for R1a ClanRanalds.
There is a large Glenaladale population on Prince Edward Island, Canada due to the emigration plans carried out in the late 1700's by Capt. John MacDonald of Glenaladale. It is very difficult to research on PEI prior to 1800. The land was not owned but rented as it was in Scotland. The first census was in 1841, head of household but in one area there is not another surviving census until 1871. For the average person not closely related to Glenaladale or a head of one the cadet branches there will be no existing documents prior to 1800.
There are several R1a's from this are which have a verbal tradition in their family of being ClanRanald and having ancestors who migrated through the Maritime provinces. They have varying degrees of documentation but I believe all have researched to the extent that documents exist, as have I. There is one distinguishing marker in the modal for this group an 11 at 537 compared to the MacDonald Modal of 12, but there are some who do not believe themselves ClanRanald who have this marker. Among this group there is a maximum genetic distance of 5 at 67 markers. I guess only more 67 marker results will help us establish a ClanRanald DNA signature.
Do you know how Dr. MacDonald is using autosomal markers to study Clan structure? Is there anything published regarding this? How is this possible if we are only dealing with 5 generations for autosomal testing?
Again thanks for all the information.
Elizabeth