From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] snp L69
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:31:48 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>

> >From my reading of the 23andMe spreadsheet compiled by Adriano Squecco,
> >L69
> (a.k.a. S163 or rs9786274) is so promiscuous that I have difficulty
> determining its ancestral value.

[[ Globally promiscuous, locally faithful --- that's been my experience in
I2a2 so far. For local applications only the local ancestral (upstream of
node) value need be remembered, along with the two downstream branch
experiences with the nucleotide site. And besides, paraphrasing old
Congressman Tip O'Neill --- all y tree tags are local.

Since the raison d'etre of a ydna marker is to mutate and hence indicate an
event somewhere in the y tree, I really like guys like L69 who give a little
more bang for the buck and behave somewhere between our slow STRs and slow
SNPs and also have the bonus of just two states.

I think testing companies are not fond of them because they don't fit their
tidy stories of the hobby's technical foundations, but I give credit to
FTDNA and Ethnoancestry for offering them for sale. Ken ]]

This thread: