From: David Ewing <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Need Help In Understanding and Using the Term "SNP"
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 13:39:30 -0600

Harold asked for a reference. When I started trying to learn enough about
this subject to become a decent surname group administrator, I found Human
Evolutionary Genetics by MA Jobling et al (ISBN 08153 41857) enormously
helpful. Its copyright date is 2004, so I suppose it is becoming somewhat
dated by now, but it gives good background information that helps put what
genetic genealogy hobbyists are doing in perspective. Even if you master
this book, you will still occasionally get confused about the shortcut lingo
hobbyists sometimes use, but at least you will have a place to stand while
trying to figure it out.

David Ewing

This thread: