From: steven perkins <>
Subject: [DNA] Article: The relationship between blood groups and disease.
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 22:28:49 -0400

I have not seen this article but I wonder if our 23andme/deCODEme
results contain enough information to match to the article.

Blood. 2010 Mar 22. [Epub ahead of print]

The relationship between blood groups and disease.

Anstee DJ.

Bristol Institute for Transfusion Sciences, National Health Service
(NHS) Blood and Transplant, Bristol, United Kingdom.

The relative contribution of founder effects and natural selection to
the observed distribution of human blood groups has been debated since
blood group frequencies were shown to differ between populations
almost a century ago. Recent advances in our understanding of the
migration patterns of early man from Africa to populate the rest of
the world obtained using Y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA markers do
much to inform this debate. There are clear examples of protection
against infectious diseases from inheritance of polymorphisms in genes
encoding and regulating the expression of ABH and Lewis antigens in
bodily secretions particularly in respect of Helicobacter pylori,
Norovirus and Cholera infections. However, available evidence suggests
surviving malaria is the most significant selective force affecting
the expression of blood groups. Red cells lacking or having altered
forms of blood group-active molecules are commonly found in regions of
the world where malaria is endemic, notably the Fy(a-b-) phenotype and
the S-s- phenotype in Africa and the Ge negative and SAO phenotypes in
South East Asia. Founder effects provide a more convincing explanation
for the distribution of the D negative phenotype and the occurence of
Hemolytic Disease of the Fetus and Newborn in Europe and Central Asia.

PMID: 20308598 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

LinkOut - more resources
Full Text Sources:

* HighWire Press - PDF

Supplemental Content
Click here to read
Related articles

* Blood groups Lewis(b) and ABH expression in gastric mucosa: lack
of inter-relation with Helicobacter pylori colonisation and occurrence
of gastric MALT lymphoma.

Gut. 1997 Jul; 41(1):37-42.

[Gut. 1997]
* ABO, Lewis, secretor and non-secretor phenotypes in patients
infected or uninfected by the Helicobacter pylori bacillus.

Sao Paulo Med J. 2002 Mar 7; 120(2):55-8.

[Sao Paulo Med J. 2002]
* Nepalese populations show no association between the
distribution of malaria and protective alleles.

J Mol Genet Med. 2006 Nov; 2(1):101-106.

[J Mol Genet Med. 2006]
* Review[Impact of changes in the environment on
vector-transmitted diseases]

Sante. 1997 Jul-Aug; 7(4):263-9.

[Sante. 1997]
* ReviewDeforestation: effects on vector-borne disease.

Parasitology. 1993; 106 Suppl:S55-75.

[Parasitology. 1993]

--
Steven C. Perkins