From: Anders Pålsen <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 23andme cousin results
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 03:36:24 -0700 (PDT)

I think these 65% to 75% identical measures is based on assumption of independent SNP's not block structures, but you are right on the spot that parents with ancestry from same etnicity or geographical region likely will have collection of blocks that has a common source, so most of your cousins or any seemingly totally unrelated random individual with same or related ethicity from a overlapping geographical region. This messes up 23andme's cousin calculations that are only correct assuming total unrelatedness but this is not a correct assumption within related enticities or geographical regions. This result in overestimation of cousin relationships. This means some kind of correction factor is needed when comparing.

Anders

--- Den søn 2010-03-28 skrev Vincent Vizachero <>:

> Actually, the explanation for this is
> that two parents have genomes
> that are something more than 0% identical to each
> other.  In fact,
> even complete strangers are about 65% to 75% identical for
> the SNPs
> commonly tested.

Bruker du Yahoo!?
Lei av spam? Yahoo! Mail har den beste spambeskyttelsen
http://no.mail.yahoo.com

This thread: