From: Johnathan Clayborn <>
Subject: [DNA] Questions about alternate means of searching DNA Genealogy
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:24:46 -0700

Hello list!

I'm new, this is my first post here.

I have a rather baffling conundrum and I was wondering if anyone out there
may be able to help shed some light on the subject.

Back in December of 2006 I took a Y-Chromosome test at the bequest of the
Claiborne DNA Project. Naturally we all expected the results to return
nothing abnormal. We were shocked and dismayed to discover that my genes did
not match the Clayborn's....not even remotely.

Upon further review of my genealogical records we discovered where the error
was made, our ancestor was adopted by the Clayborns cir. 1860. His mother
was a 'Christina Croy', but we can not find out anything further about her.

Having encountered a brick wall I began scouring the DNA databases online
for a possible match, something that would give me a clue as to where to
search next. I've checked Y-Base, YHRD, Genebase, SMGF, and YSearch. None of
these databases has a match better than 22/24 (which according to what they
said on the site puts our MRCA out about 744 years).

I have 3 distinct markers in my first 24 marker set that happen in less than
1 percent of the population (according to SMGF). Whenever I can find a match
(If that's possible), it should be very easy to prove a match as my genes
are so odd.

Does anyone have any other resources that I can incorporate into my search?

Additionally I was thinking about my adopted ancestors, the Clayborns, one
of their ancestral branches died out completely. What if the same thing
happened to my blood ancestors? Would it be possible to track my DNA on the
Paternal line through other means? This not knowing is making me crazy.

Thanks for your time.

Kindest Regards,
-John

--
Chomh fada is a tharraingt mé anáil, tá súil agam.

This thread: