From: "robert mclaren" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Questions about alternate means of searching DNA Genealogy
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:06:19 -0400

John,

I do have a few suggestions for you as you wait for a match. First, if you
have only tested to 25 markers, I suggest that you upgrade to at least 37
and best would be 67 markers. Matches at 25 can fall apart with more
markers. Second, I suggest that you test some more in your known family.
How many sons did your ancestor, adopted in ca 1860, have? You can derive
his DNA signature by testing descendants of three of his sons. You cound
as one. So, I suggest that you test a straight-line male descendant of two
other of his sons. With those three results, you can derive your
ancestor's DNA signature. YUou do this by examining every marker, one by
one. Where the three agree, than that is the ancestor's value for that
marker. If one disagrees, then the ancestor's value would be that of the
other two.

In doing this second suggest, you remove any recent mutaitons. When I did
this, testing my two brothers, I found that I have two mutations. My
father's DNA signature is that of my two brothers, not mine.

Yours aye,

Bob McLaren
Genealogist, Clan MacLaren Society (based in Scotland)
Chairman, Genealogy Committee, Clan MacLaren Society of North America
Administrator, Clan MacLaren Surname DNA Project (Worldwide)
Administrator, Lindo, da Silva, and Braham Surname DNA Projects (all
Worldwide)
Member, Association of Professional Genealogists
Member, Genealogy Speakers Guild

This thread: