From: (John Chandler)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Questions about alternate means of searching DNA Genealogy
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 21:31:02 -0400

John wrote:
> I have 3 distinct markers in my first 24 marker set that happen in less than
> 1 percent of the population (according to SMGF). Whenever I can find a match
> (If that's possible), it should be very easy to prove a match as my genes
> are so odd.

Not necessarily. The Y chromosome is passed on as a whole, and it could
well be the same 1% of the male population that has all three of those
rare alleles together. Having *anything* rare is a plus, but having
three rare alleles isn't necessarily "three times as good". You would
have to look at the correlation statistics to find out.

John Chandler

This thread: