From: "grandcross" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Sephardim or Moors ?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:29:35 -0500

Didier wrote:

> This post is for G haplogroup among "iberians". Below are the 2 opposite
> choices I found : the Nuevo Mexico project is grouping them as "Moors"
> while Adams et al. (2008 - see below) are mainly considering them as
> ancient sephardic populations (not all G are called sephardic but there is
> a clear enhancement of "Gs" among sephardic jews as filtered out by Adams
> et al.)
> links :
> Nuevo Mexico project
> http://www.familytreedna.com/public/nuevomexico/default.aspx?section=yresults
>
> Adams et al. (2008)
> The Genetic Legacy of Religious Diversity and Intolerance: Paternal
> Lineages of Christians, Jews, and Muslims in the Iberian Peninsula
>
> http://ukpmc.ac.uk/ type="text/javascript">DisplayMail('3ftool','articlerender.cgi');@@3d19061982
>
> So, Sephardic or Moors ? May be neither of these ?................

Neither the Portugal Project (227) nor the Azores DNA Project (141)
characterize haplogroup G as Sephardic or "Moor", howsoever that term is
defined. The Iberian Project describes G and its subclades as follows:

"...The Alan Sarmatians were military allies of the Vandals and the Suebi
during the conquest of Iberia, it is likely this is the origin of haplogroup
G2 in Spain. The Alan Sarmatians' ancient homeland was the Caucasus
Mountains. 4% of modern day Iberians share this origin."

Personally, I think the conclusions reached in the Adams paper are
fundamentally flawed.

This thread: