From: "Roberta Estes" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] QUESTION ABOUT 23 AND ME FTDNA AND DNA PRINT GENOMICS
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:46:36 -0400

These are three kinds of test that test different things and cannot be
compared to each other. They are apples and oranges.

The yline and mtdna testing is offered by Family Tree DNA, but not by
23andMe. 23andMe provides you with a haplogroup only, not STR or location
results. And they don't always match because they test differently than
Family Tree DNA. Family Tree DNA offers the highest resolution and includes
deletions and insertions which 23andMe does not include, which can and does
sometimes make a difference.

The autosomal test, assuming you did the Codex marker test that tests 15 or
21 markers returns only raw results, and that is only provided by Family
Tree DNA of this group of companies, and is now obsolete by the newer
testing of Relative Finder at 23andMe and Family Finder at Family Tree DNA.

The DNA Print test was indeed sold and has been purchased by another
company. This test uses a few hundred AIMS (Ancestry Informative Markers)
which are found in various percentages in different populations. I believe
this test will very shortly be rendered obsolete as well as soon as someone
figures out the analysis for the Family Finder/Relative Finder info, and I
know there is someone feverishly working on this. This test has always been
viewed as "suspect" within the genetic genealogy community. It is
proprietary and there is nothing to compare it to directly.

Family Tree DNA will shortly allow those who have tested at 23andMe to
upload their data and compare to their Family Finder data base.

Here is a link to an article titled "Proving your Native American Heritage",
but it talks about all of these tests except Family Finder which was not
released yet when I wrote it.

Roberta Estes