From: Al Aburto <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] When? Addition of new SNPs to Advanced menu anddraft haplotree
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:36:46 -0700

I was thinking Family Finder causing delays as you said but FTDNA's
schedule (we don't know what it is) may also include other items as
priority over our new WTY SNPs such as adding all the unique advanced
order markers to the project pages and having all the partial alleles
available too and updating their Haplotree.

I wasn't agreeing with you that FTDNA was abandoning WTY or testing of
the new L-series SNPs at all. I'm sure FTDNA stands solidly behind
finding new SNPs and testing them. Only by testing will we find out if
they are "private SNPs" (of use to only a specific family line but not
to a larger group). We with FTDNA I believe are the only ones finding
new SNPs ...
Al

> On 3/30/2010 3:09 PM, Lawrence Mayka wrote:
> What do you mean by that? Are you suggesting that FTDNA is about to offer a
> full-Y scan at an attractive price that makes all present and past WTY tests
> obsolete? Do you have specific knowledge of this, or are you even more
> wildly optimistic than I? :)
>
> You can't possibly be referring to Family Finder, because it is meaningless
> for relationships farther back than 5 generations and therefore has almost
> no utility overlap with yDNA at all.
>
> Or are you simply agreeing with me that FTDNA has apparently abandoned WTY
> (including work already paid for) in order to focus on Family Finder?
>

>> From: [mailto:genealogy-dna-
>> ] On Behalf Of Al Aburto
>> It (testing of new WTY SNPs) is overtaken by events I think.

This thread: