From: Jonathan Day <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] When? Addition of new SNPs to Advanced menu and drafthaplotree
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:30:06 -0700 (PDT)

Dunno about the original poster, but I'm inclined to think WTY has been forgotten. It was horribly expensive, wasn't finding a huge number of SNPs, and really needed some substantial outside sponsorship.

As I recall, interest in WTY seemed to fade when interest in the X chromosome picked up, and appeared to die off entirely with Family Finder.

(I'm still not sure what Family Finder actually finds that's useful. If it's only good for 5 generations, most genealogy websites do as well or better and there are genealogical supply stores that can provide databases that'll take you back to the 1500s. The truly interesting DNA cases are the ones which are difficult to trace through traditional methods, because there you should - eventually, as the genetic databases grow - be able to fill in gaps for which no paperwork exists.)