From: "Sandy Paterson" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Questions about alternate means of searching DNA Genealogy
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:31:56 +0100

Wow.

Right, I followed your reasoning with CODIS markers, but I'm totally lost
with the Y chromosome.

We're talking in the context of someone who has discovered an adoption in
his ancestry, who has had a 25 marker Y-STR test, and found that 3 of the 25
markers have unusual values. He hopes to be able to identify his blood
ancestry by concentrating his searches on these three unusual marker values,
using the reasoning that if each one of those 3 markers are rare, then the
presence of all 3 values simultaneously will be very rare indeed, and this
should help him in his search.

I agree with him. You seem to disagree with him (if I've understood you
correctly).

Let's simplify the problem and change it to one where he has only 2 markers
with unusual values.

Then, using Bayes Theorem in its simplest form

PR{AB} = Pr{A}.Pr{B/A}
= Pr{B}.Pr{A/B}

We can change Pr to Fr if you like, where Fr denotes frequency rather than
probability.

It seems to me that what you are saying is that Pr{B/A} = 1

I find that counter-intuitive (or perhaps I've misunderstood you).

Looking at it from a different angle, you say that (in Y chromosomes)

"Second, a man with rare alleles on two Y markers will have sons who all
have the
same two rare alleles.

Surely, if we examined the haplotypes of the sons of a large number of men
with two rare alleles, although we'd find that in most cases sons would have
both rare values, we'd also find that some sons would have only 1? And
(albeit very rarely), some brothers would have none?

This seems so obvious to me that I'm now convinced that I've misunderstood
you.

Sandy