From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Questions about alternate means of searching DNA Genealogy
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 05:28:28 -0500

You should also try searching the Ancestry.com database. You have to enter
your results into their database to search it. They have a surprising large
number of people who have tested there.

Where did you test?

Trying to pin down a match with another surname is looking for a needle in a
haystack, but, sometimes, people find the needle. A 22/24 or even 21/24 (or,
maybe, a 20/24) living-to-living match is a possibility, but this would
depend on how many people have been tested in the match's surname project.
For any match with a different surname, you need to go to the surname
project site to see if the ancestral (or modal, if the ancestral has not
been determined) is closer or further away from yours.

An upgrade to 67 markers, if tested at FTDNA, is advisable to avoid false
positives. The 43 markers for those tested by Sorenson Genetics (RG,
Ancestry, DNAH, Genetree, SMGF, etc.) seem to be sufficient, however..

Bob Stafford

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Johnathan Clayborn <
> wrote:

> Having encountered a brick wall I began scouring the DNA databases online
> for a possible match, something that would give me a clue as to where to
> search next. I've checked Y-Base, YHRD, Genebase, SMGF, and YSearch. None
> of
> these databases has a match better than 22/24 (which according to what they
> said on the site puts our MRCA out about 744 years).

This thread: