Subject: Re: [DNA] Questions about alternate means of searching DNAGenealogy -creating a modal haplotype from a few samples
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:54:52 -0400

While we are discussing the particular, I wondered if it is useful to
create a modal haplotype from 4 samples. Three samples can prove
ancestry to ancestor A, c. 1690-1760. The other sample traces to
Ancestor B, c 1702-1777, very probably (not proved) a brother of A.
All these samples match within the usual parameters, but of course
there are one-step mutations. In that case, does one
choose the most commonly found allele?

Once such a modal haplotype is created, what good
is it? Can one create a fictitious Ysearch account to try to locate
other matches (who didn't test with FTDNA), or to search other
databases?

This thread: