From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Questions about alternate means of searching DNAGenealogy -creating a modal haplotype from a few samples
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 11:23:00 -0400

By definition, the modal value is the most common value at each marker. The
significance of the modal value depends on the individual case. In general, the
smaller the sample, the less confident you can be that you have the real modal
for the family. It also matters whether you have a lopsided representation of
the lines from the progenitor. You sample is both small and lopsided.

In a small sample where you have some paper genealogy to guide you, the real
question is whether you can logically fit the paper genealogy and the DNA test
results together.

Yes, you can create a single Ysearch account using the modal values for a family
-- I've done it numerous times. But it's really more useful if you can get each
individual to create their own account.

Diana

This thread: