From: "Lawrence Mayka" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] When? Addition of new SNPs to Advanced menu and,draft haplotree
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:41:49 -0500

You are describing only one of several cases. I will give an example of
each. Only the first exemplifies what you say.

1) Thomas Krahn announced L12 in July 2008, along with the haplogroup
(R-M198) and the kit number (and therefore the haplotype) in which it was
found:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/genealogy-dna/2008-07/12165980
86

I myself posted specific promising candidates to test L12, and then later
pointed out that L12 is itself probably the cause of DYS448 = Null, and if
so, L12 is a good-sized subclade:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/genealogy-dna/2008-09/12222915
88

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/genealogy-dna/2009-11/12586446
15

Sadly, it appears that no one has acted on this, because ISOGG still
classifies L12 as "private."

http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpR.html

2) Thomas Krahn added L235 to his draft haplotree some time ago, under
R-M198. But he has not given any indication of its haplotype background.
Worse, it is not available to order at all, so obviously no progress can be
made.

3) More recently, L260 was discovered in a WTY of an R-M458 man (that's the
new subgroup within R-M198). But L260 is neither in the draft haplotree nor
available to order, so obviously no progress can be made.

There is a rumor that some of these newly discovered SNPs will be available
to order soon. All we can do is wait.

> From: [mailto:genealogy-dna-
> ] On Behalf Of Tim
> FTDNA was finding some SNPs, but the second step, just as important but
> not part of Walk the Y, is for project administrators to look at the
> STRs for the people with those SNPs and identify others within the

This thread: