Subject: Re: [DNA] Questions about alternate means of searching DNAGenealogy-creating a modal haplotype from a few samples
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 22:17:53 +0000

Hi Bob,

This is a most interesting find indeed. By the "namesake", I assume that you are referring to Lemuel?

I have studied the Cliborns/Clayborns etc for over a decade now. I can tell you that there are about three major family groups bearing that surname in the US. (Well, caucasian families anyway...). The first group's immigrant was Col. William Claiborne, the first secretary of state of VA. He came over in 1615. He was also responsible for the first naval battle to take place in Americe when he began fighting with Lord Baltimore over what is now Maryland. This family originates near London. Anyway, he's not related to me. My adopted family group's immigrant was Edward Cleburne, who came over Aug 11, 1635 on the "Globe" from London. This family group has direct DNA ties to the Cleburnes of Westmoreland Co (who allegedly descend through the male line from Charlemange). After this family backed Richard III during the war of the roses they fell out of power and esteem. They sold their estate iin England and went to Ireland and America. The paper documentation is a little sketchy in!
some areas, but the DNA is conclusive.

The third family seems to have no relation to either of the other two and just "shows up" in N.Carolina in the early 1700s. No one, as far as I know, has been able to trace their origins with any certainty.

I will most definitely read what you found, and I am VERY appreciative of the help!!! :D. The part that troubles me is this: if Lemuel Croy is the son of William, as the information may suggest, I can still show a paper trail from William back to Edward, and my DNA does not match other, more distant members of that known group. So, someone, somewhere is still off-kilter somehow.

In the meantime I will scour that record for information and get in contact with the Clayborn DNA study group and see if there have been any new contributions from members more closely related to me.

Thanks a million!!! (At this point any scrap of evidence is exciting, no matter how remote. I've been spinning my wheels on this for five years).