From: Martin Potter <>
Subject: [DNA] 3 surnames with 37/37 and 67/67 matches
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:00:50 -0400

Hello, All,

A member of one of my surname projects (just starting) turns
out to be a 37/37 match with another gentleman of a different
surname and a 67/67 match with a third gentleman of yet
another surname. There is no known genealogical connection
between any of them.

My member's haplogroup has been tested as N1c1 (a relatively
small group). His Ysearch ID is QP285.

Is it possible that the 37/37 match might be a false positive
in a small haplogroup like N1c1? (I could believe it for
R1b ... but N1c1?)

If the 37/37 match is NOT spurious, then it seems there is a
2/3 probability that my project member has an NPE in his
paternal line. (And if it is spurious, then the probability
drops to 1/2.)

Is there any other likely explanation, and is there some way
to put my project member's mind at ease about all of this?

... Martin

Huntsman Surname DNA Project

This thread: