Subject: Re: [DNA] 3 surnames with 37/37 and 67/67 matches
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 01:03:03 +0000

Hi Martin,

I would venture as much to say that, theoretically, statistically, it is possible for two unrelated people to develop the same genetic mutations. After all. There are only so many possible combinations, and there have been billions of people on earth. That being said I find it highly unlikely.

Are you comparing modal DNA sequences or direct results? If the results are modal remember that in ancient times people often adopted the surnames of their occupation, location or physical traits. It is possible that all thre people descended from the same ancestor and had different surnames.

Or maybe there's another more technical explanation. I'm certainly no expert. ;)