From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] 3 surnames with 37/37 and 67/67 matches
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 21:18:45 -0500

The first thing to do is to triangulate his ancestral haploype by testing
his most remote documented cousin. This is normal procedure, anyway. If they
are good matches, he will not be able to pin down the NPE by researching his
surname--if he has exhausted his paper trail.

If they do not match, he will need to test a descendant of a third son of
the ancestor to verify that the NPE is in his line. Then he would have to
triangulate other ancestor to determine when the NPE occurred. Start with a
branch about halfway down and keep bisecting the lineage to pin down the
generation of the NPE. Then he can look at neighbors and court records for
possible fathers. Of course, it may be impossible to find the right
candidates, so he will probably need to very the procedure somewhat.

The other parties will need to do the same thing, since it is possible they
have the NPE. However, if they have a lot of matches within their surname,
it would be unlikely.

Bob Stafford