From: (John Chandler)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Comparing 23andMe Data That Was Uploaded to deCODEme
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:01:57 -0400

Harold wrote:
> Even though this other participant and I match on 75/76 Y-DNA "STRs"
> (FTDNA Y-67 test markers plus the nine additional markers that make
> up the full SMGF family of markers), we DO NOT show as sharing any
> DNA in the 23andMe Relative Finder test results.

That is the great power of Y DNA testing for genealogy. The Y
chromosome retains evidence of a connection long after there is
no trace left in the autosomal DNA. Let's suppose your MRCA was
12 generations ago. That is within the plausible range of time
for a 75/76 match, and yet the likelihood is extremely high that
not even one segment of autosomal DNA would be shared by descent
from that ancestor.

John Chandler

This thread: