From: James Sims <>
Subject: [DNA] One person's 23andMe RF experience update #1 - Sims
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 10:44:11 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know if anyone is keeping stats on 23andMe and their Relative Finder feature, and how successful people have been getting the times, places and paper trail to confirm a biological relationship. For the record, I do genealogy, but originally joined 23AndMe for non-genealogical reasons before they added the Relative Finder feature.

I have lines in America going back to the 1730s, some on each of my paternal lines and maternal lines, so I'm not surprised by the number of predicted cousins.

Here is my experience so far at 23AndMe:

# predicted cousins: 822

They contacted me:
# cousins reaching out to me first: 6, I accepted basic sharing with 6
# cousins with a shared surname but gaps in paper trail: 3
# cousins with shared surname, dates and places agree, but gap in paper
trail: 2
# cousins with DNA and a good paper trail: 0
# cousins with no known shared surname: 3

I contacted them:
# cousins I reached out to first: 5, 0 accepted contact

Observations:
I reached out to one predicted 3rd cousin, two predicted 4th cousins and two predicted distant cousins. All but one of these people have 4 DNA segments in common with me.

Among the 6 people who reached out to me first, one was predicted to be a 4th cousin with 2 shared DNA segments, the rest were predicted distant cousins with only one shared segment.

Jim Sims
TX, USA

This thread: