From: "Nancy Custer" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b1b2a1a2f
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 21:51:10 -0700

John,
My husband and son are reported R1b1b2a1a2f at 23andme but R1b1b2a1b5 at
FTDNA. We've answered all the requested contacts at 23andme but have not
initiated contact with all the R1b1b2a1a2f's that are more distant cousins.
So far we haven't had any great epiphanies from the Relative Finder and have
not ventured into the new FTDNA program. We do keep up with all SNP testing
there. I notice that there are even some R1b1b2a1a2f2's among my husband's
matches at 23andme. I have not taken the time to compare the nomenclature
for the two companies so don't know for sure what the implications for the
differences are.

My husband's family is from the Orkney Islands--at least 250-300 years
back--the Cursiter name was earliest recorded there in the 1500's. Though
we do not have a connection with the early group, all Cursiters from Orkney
tested so far match. The family has an extensive recLOH with almost all
duplicate markers having the same values. This recLOH occurred at least 250
years ago. My husband alone represents the family at Ysearch, BGPD5, as I
worry that overloading Ysearch with duplicates from the same line is not a
good idea.

You can email me privately at ncuster at mindspring.com if you have any
questions. My feeling is that this group did spread out after it originated
since there are indeed matches in Orkney, Scotland (many Orcadians, my
husband's family included, do not consider themselves Scottish) and Ireland
whose lines have been in place in their areas for centuries. I would be
interested to know whether your results from 23andm3 and FTDNA are in
agreement or differ as do my husband's family's results.

Nancy