From: Bonnie Schrack <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Re : DYS458.2 lineage
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 12:09:38 -0400

Hi Didier,

Sorry I didn't see and respond to your question earlier. Al has already
done well in answering it.

No, these haplotypes do not show the CMH. That is, as we understand it
today. Originally the papers on the CMH only looked at six markers, but
it is now widely understood by all concerned that those are not at all
capable of distinguishing Cohanim. If you will take a look at the J
haplogroup project Y-Results page, you can see a large J1 Cohen cluster,
who share a very specific modal haplotype. Some of its characteristics
are 13-15 at DYS385, 16 at DYS388, 10 at DYS391, 13-30 at DYS389, and 21
at DYS448.

In addition, an extra, partial allele at DYS458 is found in all J1
haplotypes, so far as I know. There have been several scientific papers
that describe this. As Al said, FTDNA still doesn't report it, though
they were saying a little while ago that "soon" they would be displaying
all partial alleles. I guess there were more technical difficulties
implementing this than expected.

Although it's hard to say because of the absence of DYS388 in that data,
the haplotypes you sent look like members of the largest Arab cluster,
which typically has an 11 at DYS391, and 17 (or higher) at DYS388. You
can see numerous examples in the J project, and maybe you will find some
that are a close match to these Moroccans, though we have few if any
Moroccans in the project. This haplotype was spread far and wide during
the Islamic conquests. You can see it under " J1c3d, P58+, L147+,
YCAII=22-22, 388>16, Arab Cluster." The J1 Cohanim are also J1c3d,
P58+, L147+, YCAII=22-22, and so, fairly closely related. ;-)

Bonnie

J Haplogroup Project
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Y-DNA_J/default.aspx?/publicwebsite.aspx=&section=yresults

This thread: