From: "robert mclaren" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] thoughts on how finding matches could be made easier
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 13:21:02 -0400

Ann,

I don't think this approach is a wise one. I believe that FTDNA will use
confirmed relationships to improve their cousin predictions. In their beta
test, they tried to get a number from a family to test, up to sixth
cousins. This is what they based their predictions upon. However, as more
and more test, and as more relationships are confirmed, the predictions
should improve. But, if relationships are confirmed without actually
confirming them, then rather than improve, the predictions could get worst.

Yours aye,

Bob McLaren
Genealogist, Clan MacLaren Society (based in Scotland)
Chairman, Genealogy Committee, Clan MacLaren Society of North America
Administrator, Clan MacLaren Surname DNA Project (Worldwide)
Administrator, Lindo, da Silva, and Braham Surname DNA Projects (all
Worldwide)
Member, Association of Professional Genealogists
Member, Genealogical Speakers Guild