From: "Richard Stevens" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] U106 in North Germany
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:37:54 -0400

I realize defining North Germany is a problem, but I was thinking in terms
of the old tripartite major dialect division of Germany into Niederdeutsch,
Mitteldeutsch, and Hochdeutsch (or Süddeutsch), kind of like what this very
simplified map shows:

http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa051898.htm

The Niederdeutsch dialect area runs roughly (very roughly) north of the
Düsseldorf-Leipzig line.

Rich