From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] SRY10831 at the root ?
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 13:28:50 -0400

I don't think it's worth arguing whether or not we will ever know the order of
every SNP mutation because that wasn't the point. The point was that the
nodes/branches of the Y-DNA haplotree aren't independent of mutations, they
represent the mutations. "Demographics" have nothing to do with it, nor does
the ratio of SNP mutations to STR mutations have anything to do with it -- nor
is there any reason to believe that ratio would change over time. What would be
the biological basis for such a change?

If there are 2500 SNPs separating you from genetic Adam, then there are 2500
nodes/branches on the cladogram. All of their locations have simply yet to be
determined. You are apparently assuming most never will be, and I will grant
that probably not all will be, but I think we will eventually get much closer to
identifying and locating most of them. No point in debating that one because
it's a difference of opinion.

Diana