From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Fwd: R1b - 2010 Myres, and Cruciani Papers
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:58:58 -0600

The diversity measure squishes its numerical score close together as you
approach 100 percent diversity. But i note you have not normalized your
scores in any event. This cap on diversity numbers and the resulting
squishing is why they can not track with variance numbers in anything like a
linear way. Variance keeps growing with age and also with mixing of
disparate populations; diversity measure is bounded.

I personally think it is a poor measure to focus on because it can not be
related to much else; it is just a seat of the pants measure originally
designed for the cops, I think, so they could sound scientific when called
to testify in court and asked how well some dna measurements differentiated
one person from another in a population.

But this can of worms maybe should not be opened too far on this forum? If
you think unproductive debate has raged concerning variance, I think
diversity measure debate would be worse.