From: Doug McDonald <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1a1 - L176.1
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 08:18:38 -0500

On 10/24/2010 8:28 PM, Andrew McEachern wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Shouldn't there be enough positive results to take L176.1+ off the private list for the R1a1
> tree? I know of at least 5 positive results and one negative result for this SNP. Also I am quite
> sure there would have to be a plethora of positive results for this SNP from the Clan Donald
> project?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andrew

L176.1 (which is R1a) is very simple. It is a SNP that parallels
the "Somerled" pattern YCAII = 19,21 and DYS 459 = 8,10, in
addition to the underlying pattern of Scandinavian R1a.

It is a subset of M198 with one new intervening SNP (M417) in between.
M417 seems to be positive in all other subsets of M198 also.

L176.1 is, as far as I know, indeed "private" to what amounts to
the Clan Donald and other people who could reasonably be thought of
as McDonald bastards from 500 years ago. It clearly is
not found in Scandinavia. All the Scandinavians I have gotten to
test are negative. That said, however, it is a very large "private" set of people.
It probably is the dominant set of R1a1 in the highlands of Scotland.

It could of course have originated before some Viking brought it
to Scotland, but have died out in Scandinavia, or could have occurred
in Scotland. We know now that it occurred before 1190, and probably
well before 1100.

Doug McDonald

This thread: