From: "Lancaster-Boon" <>
Subject: [DNA] R1b and R1a fate
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 14:16:59 +0100

Dear Anatole

I think it a good idea to revise the last part of my reply to you. I will
add a link about th Balkans, and correct a remark right at the end of my
reply.

Regards
Andrew

----
From: "Lancaster-Boon" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 08:27:14 +0100

>>>2. When we come to the mouth of the Danube, and the eastern Balkans, or
coastal Ukraine, it is archaelogically uncontroversial to say that those
steppe dwellers, in all the times relevant to this discussion, were mingling
with a much higher density, sedentary and citified population in this area.

>>Can you be a bit more specific? What "archaeologically uncontroversial"
about "populations"? Can you explain your quotation above in the context of
the R1b - IE question?

>Well, I think being specific would go beyond what I was trying to do which
is say what is least controversial in broad terms. Now, if you are not aware
of any evidence at all of contact ingression by Steppe dwellers and their
horses into the early civilzations of the eastern Balkans, please let me
know and I'll dig something up, but I am presuming from the above that your
question is trying to divert to details rather than what is required in the
post I wrote.

For convenience I cross reference to Jean Manco's website:
http://www.buildinghistory.org/distantpast/peoplingeurope.shtml

Note the "Cucuteni-Tripolye culture on the fringe of the steppe. This
successful community was apparently taken over by steppe pastoralists around
3,700 BC".

===

>>>Concerning how much R1a and R1b was in IE populations...

>>R1b was in "IE population" ONLY since the 1st millennium BC until
nowadays. Unfortunately, you do not indicate dates, and this is VERY
confusing.

>Those dates seem ok for what I am saying. NOTE: I am not saying anything
about how R1`b and R1a corresponded or not to IE speaking populations BEFORE
this.

I take that back sorry. The first millenium BC is far to late. R1b was
clearly in at least some IE populations before then.

Best Regards
Andrew

This thread: