From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] NW European R1b from Iberia?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 10:55:31 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike W" <>

The challenge I have is that I question the validity of comparing the
variance (and therefore also the TMRCA) of a paragroup versus a true
subclade.

how can it make
sense to compare P312* as a group with L21, U152, etc. since P312* is
really not one group?

On the other hand, P312 "all" is a true clade so I can see how
comparing variance and TMRCA's for it are of value.

[[ You are being excessively pessimistic and blowing out of proportion
differences of so called "true clades" from paragroups. P312* is as much a
single group as is L21, etc. It will or will not have recognizable clade
structure within its population.

As long as you draw trees to visualize what assorted branch lines you are
conceivably summing over (and therefore averaging) in each application, the
meaning (and any limitations thereof) of intraclade variances and interclade
variances involving paragroups can be stated. KN ]]

This thread: