From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Recommendations for DNA testing
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 05:32:39 -0600

>From a genealogical perspective, there is little reason to do mtDNA testing,
unless you have a specific question in mind, e.g., were two female sisters?
I would wait on it. The resolution of the usual HVR test is too low to be
used in the same way as the Y-STR test.

The Full-Genome Sequence (FGS) at FTDNA has enough resolution for
genealogical purposes. However, the male-line descent of surnames in most
Western European countries makes the study of female lines much more
difficult. One problem is that there is no tag (surname) to accompany the
haplotype. This makes it possible to eliminate many Y-DNA matches.

For ancient ancestry, The 23andMe test is a good alternative, since it
includes Y- and mtDNA hapogroups, as well as much more. They have recently
lowered their everyday price. They have also had periodic sales.

http:www.23andme.com
Bob Stafford