From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] significance of GD 7 at 67 markers
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:36:24 -0600

You should count by the infinite alleles method (0 or 1), when comparing
close matches, since it more likely that they will be one event. FTDNA is
converting its software to use it on, at least, multi-copy markers.
Multi-step mutations on single-copy markers between close matches are pretty
rare, so it does not make a lot of difference how you count them.

As noted by Gareth, recLOHs are involved in this case. A multi-step mutation
and doubling of one allele on a multi-copy marker is likely to be one. It
involves a different mechanism from the usual one (slippage). If several
occur, you will want to consult Thomas Krahn's diagram to see if they are on
the same pallindrome:

http://www.dna-fingerprint.com/static/PalindromicRegion-V2.pdf

CDY is also called DYS724 and you can find all three markers on P1. As a
matter of interest, you may want to have him test the Pallindrome Pack at
the Advanced Lab to see which other markers are affected.

You can count RecLOHs as 1 or 0, depending on how you want to look at them.
They are included in calculated mutation rates for the markers, but the
effect is probably small compared to the error range.

Bob Stafford

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 1:33 PM, Rebecca <> wrote:

> Could I ask the list for an opinion on a project member's relationship
> to genetic cluster 09 in the Perry project. His paper trail suggests
> he belongs here. http://www.perry-dna.org/pages/ydnaResultsFrameSet.html
> He matches only one other kit 111434 in this cluster, but at a genetic
> distance of 7 out of 67 markers.

This thread: