From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Recommendations for DNA testing
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:36:55 -0600

The firms pretty much just give you the results and some boiler-plate on the
prediced haplogroup.

In this thread, I have desribed the genealogical aplication of DNA testing:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/dna/messages/1364.html

I wouldbe cautious about buying tests. Just because they are offered does
not mean they are likely to be very useful for your genealogy. The Y-STR
test will focus your paper research by eliminating unproductive research .
However, it will not extend your paper trail unless you find a match with
someone who has an older genealgogy. Trying to do more with it is usually
unproductive. See this post:

Bob Stafford

On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Bob Bulthuis <> wrote:

> Are the reports basic or very detailed? Are some better than others?

This thread: