From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Recommendations for DNA testing
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 22:07:21 -0500

Why so cautious? It's not like being tested is painful or dangerous -- or even
that expensive. If the expense is a concern, well, I probably wouldn't spend
money on DNA testing, at all. I presume everyone considering "hobby" DNA
testing is using their disposable income, not the rent money.

If someone is working on their paper genealogy, the test they need is a
67-marker Y-DNA STR test. Just do it and be done with it. If you don't get a
match right away, you will probably get one eventually. And when you do start
getting matches, you will want all the markers you can get, so start with 67 --
it will encourage others to test 67. And sometimes, not getting a match is as
important a piece of information as getting one, when it saves you from wasting
time researching the wrong family.

So, please don't discourage people from being tested. Sooner or later, it will
help them -- and others. If nothing else, the more people tested, the more
others are encouraged to be tested.

Diana

> I would be cautious about buying tests. Just because they are offered does not
mean they
> are likely to be very useful for your genealogy. The Y-STR test will focus
your paper
> research by eliminating unproductive research .
> However, it will not extend your paper trail unless you find a match with
someone who
> has an older genealogy. Trying to do more with it is usually unproductive.
>
> Bob Stafford
>
> On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Bob Bulthuis <> wrote:
>
> > Are the reports basic or very detailed? Are some better than others?

This thread: