From: Vincent Vizachero <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] How old is Y-Chromosome Adam?
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 13:34:18 -0500

Simply having more markers doesn't help, not directly anyway, if there
is a systematic bias in the mutation rate estimates of the new markers.

On the other hand, if we KNOW there is a systematic bias then
presumably we can correct it.

In just about any phylogenetic application (genealogy or population
genetics) the ideal molecule is one with an infinite number of
polymorphic sites, each of which infinitesimally low mutation rate.
So having an awful lot of really slow STRs, with a cost-effective
manner of testing them, would be awesome. In many ways, this is
essentially what full y-chromosome sequencing could bring to the table.

VV

On Jan 3, 2011, at 12:36 PM, Lancaster-Boon wrote:

> But, thinking through what Ken is writing, I guess the other thing
> that can
> help is just more slow markers.

This thread: