From: "Alister John Marsh" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Recommendations for DNA testing
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 03:25:43 +1300

Debbie,

In general I agree with you. I did however test a known relative at Family
Builder's low price, partly to have an inside look at their service. I
don't regret testing with them for this low priority test in this situation,
and the test did for a low price at least support my assumptions on some
family markers about 100+ years ago. So far from Family Builder's customer
database matches I have not broken down any brick walls for me, but I live
in hope that one day one of their customer matches might turn up a winner.

Family Builder with their different marketing sphere may pick up a few
customers from sources outside of the areas we on this list are familiar
with. The Family Builder test might currently be of low resolution, and
their net may be small, but as long as they are trawling for customers in
slightly different areas to mainstream test companies, there is a chance
they may turn something useful up. Once a promising low resolution match
turns up from their customer database, it may well be necessary to test at a
company which tests more markers. Family Builder do intend to extend their
marker range over time, which I hope eventually happens.

In a limited range of conditions, I would even consider testing others at
Family Builder, but in most cases I would pay more to test at companies
which test more markers. If Family Builder introduce more markers, as they
originally intended, they may start picking up more market share if their
prices are competitive.

I have a few project participants turn up over time who have tested at some
really bizarre unknown test companies in unexpected places. If they had not
been trawled up by those companies, they would not have found there way to
my surname project.

But in most cases I would recommend testing at one of the bigger test
companies as a starting point, unless that is precluded by cost
considerations.

John.