From: Dienekes Pontikos <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] How old is Y-Chromosome Adam?
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 21:57:09 +0200

If the median gives 69% of the average mutation rate, then that would
result in both slower and faster markers producing greater ages using
median-/average- mutation rates, by the same scale factor (1/0.69).
Thus, the problem of the discrepancy between the two remains.

The thing to show is that the median/average mutation rate estimate
ratio decreases with higher mutability. Then you can quantify how much
of the 10+ fold difference in age estimates between the slowest and
fastest markers can be attributed to the postulated bias, and would
disappear if the average of the posterior distribution was taken.