From: Patricia Hamill <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Autosomal DNA success story -Thanks
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:38:34 -0500

Tim,

Thanks for sharing that note of success. I have not broken any brick
walls yet but have met new cousins and in a few cases help provide
information they had not encountered that helped them with a brick wall.

I have been looking at the shared segments as well. At 23andme I have
two siblings which I look at my matches as well. It is very
interesting that in almost all cases we three don't match identically
to my match.

I have been also looking at matches whom I share overlapping
segments with other matches [I am sure that there is a better way to
state that sentence - sorry].

At FTDNA, I have 16 close and immediate matches on the FTDNA default
level and above. I then dropped it down to 1cM and checked for
overlapping segments. All 16 overlap at different segments and
different chromosomes and with different matches. I have not known
what to make of this. I was trying to untangle them and created a
mess. I have not contacted these matches with this information
because I fear that I am making wild assumptions and don't wish waste
their time over nothing.

Pattie
On Feb 19, 2011, at 11:46 PM, Tim Janzen wrote:

> Dear All,
> I posted the following message to the ISOGG list in response to
> Katherine Borges' call for DNA success stories and so I thought I
> would post
> it here as well to help illustrate how autosomal DNA data can help a
> genealogist confirm theories about genealogical connections.
> Hopefully,
> stories like this will become increasingly common.
> Sincerely,
> Tim Janzen

This thread: