From: Ann Turner <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Sorenson Data Base
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:40:20 -0800

Not quite. The original goal of the Ancestral File was to create a unique ID
for each individual (LDS or not) and merge submissions, but that turned out
to be impractical. SMGF does use the Ancestral File to extend pedigrees
submitted by volunteers where possible, which enables them to identify
cousins within their own database that don't even know about each other. DNA
has the potential to verify or refute submissions to the Ancestral File.

Ann Turner

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 10:17 AM, M. A. Farrell <>wrote:

> I've been told that originally, Sorenson was processing dna to give an
> individual I.D. to every LDS man (and woman?) in the old Ancestral File.
> Quite an undertaking and I'm sorry his goal was not reached before his
> death, if this is true.
> Mary Alice

This thread: