From: "Diana Gale Matthiesen" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] NPE rate
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 09:57:21 -0400

The bad genealogy rate would be difficult to measure because paper
genealogy is a moving target, with old errors being corrected and new
ones being made. As best I can, I confirm the paper genealogies of
all my surname project members, and while they do make errors, I would
say, "infrequently."

There is the fact that I was a researcher on these surnames long
before DNA testing came along, so I've been correcting errors for a
long time. I also had a genealogy web site long before DNA testing
came along, where I've been extracting census records for my surnames:
http://dgmweb.net/Census/CensusHome.html#Major

I like to think those pages have had an affect on the number of errors
corrected and a reduction in the new errors made. Perhaps my web site
is one reason I don't find that many errors in the paper lineages
submitted by my members.

Diana

<snip>

> It would also be interesting to know the bad
> genealogy rate (BGR) which I suspect is very
> high!

This thread: