From: "M. A. Farrell" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] NPE rate
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 09:10:31 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

About......"also implying to them that one of their ancestors was adulterous..."
Adultery probably had nothing to do with women having children with different fathers in the early, frontier era of the USA. History reveals women who lost husbands to accident, wars including native defenders of the land, kidnappings and other common disappearances of men in the wilderness, HAD TO have protection of another man to feed her children and keep them alive.
There were common pairings of an available man with these women and small children, for the welfare of the group. In one case I did some research on, a young widow's first husband was killed by 'Indians' in wilderness of Virginia in 1770's, leaving her with 2 babies. A local man became her protector and father of her 3rd, 4th (and possibly 5th) children; she was provided a home on his property when he married another woman, and she eventually married again and had additional children.
Even tho these various children were acknowledged and carried the surnames of their biological fathers, much legal confusion resulted with later generations. Our old court records helped reveal the story and reasons for it, considered common and normal for the times.
This situation existed in all countries, certainly, and might continue today.
Mary Alice

PeoplePC Online
A better way to Internet
http://www.peoplepc.com