From: Jonathan Day <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] New 23andMe regular price, 1/10 their original price!
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 11:45:21 -0700 (PDT)

That is interesting to know. I'd been debating 23andMe for the genetic predisposition testing, but have been reluctant because there had been questions over the accuracy of their testing in the past.

(Their website also didn't give me much confidence - 99% accuracy sounds a lot, but that means 1 in every 100 SNP is incorrect. Multiply by the SNPs checked and then again by the number of people tested, since it won't be 1 in 100 per person, it'll be 1 in 100 overall.)

If it looks like they're still relying heavily on venture capital, I'm inclined to be cautious. It suggests the technology isn't quite up to the demands and that even with the best intent in the world there may be a psychological pressure to trim the corners to meet the expectations of those doing the funding.

Bleagh. It looks like I'll need to dig around to see what other options there are and/or see if there's anything to suggest it's not as hairy as I'm fearing.

--- On Wed, 4/13/11, mtDNA H Project <> wrote:
> It looks like a numbers game. In the venture capitalist
> world, numbers
> are extremely important. If 23andMe can cross over a
> certain number of
> people tested (That includes the Parkinson's tests.), then
> they have
> better leverage to raise capital going into the next fiscal
> year.
> Right now, they seem to be paying their bills with venture
> capital.

This thread: